You are mission driven and action oriented. You love to get involved, and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
Associate Directors play an essential role on the Advisory team in managing a portfolio of client projects, maintaining client relationships, supporting business development, and managing aspects of team or firmwide strategy. For this specific role you will specialize in strategic implementation services providing support to clients on organizational design and development, planning and implementation for philanthropic initiatives, and lead convening efforts. You are someone who understands that long-term, systemic change requires a deep understanding of the complex logistics of impact— of when and how to move the human, financial, and even intellectual resources needed to accomplish the goal.
Client Service (60-80%)
- Project Management & Oversight: Serve as project manager on client projects ensuring client deliverables, meetings, and presentations meet or exceed client expectations; specific duties will vary based on the type of project but are likely to include:
- Developing and managing project scopes of work
- Managing project teams
- Ensuring projects remains on time and on budget
- Developing high-quality reports and presentations, including overseeing or leading the research and analysis process leading up to deliverable development
- Designing and facilitating effective meetings and working sessions with clients and other stakeholders
- Clearly communicating project progress and findings to clients
- Understanding compliance needs related to private foundations and donor advised funds, as relevant to project portfolio
- Relationship Management: Build and maintain strong client relationships
- Project Team Development: In the context of project work, delegate effectively to project team members, and provide support and training to help team members develop their skills and talent
Business Development and Marketing (10-30%)
- Proposal Development: Serve as proposal manager on assigned advisory proposals, including leading on scope design and pricing
- Support Arabella’s business development team in identifying and pitching new opportunities
Internal Projects (5-10%)
- Contribute to professional growth and satisfaction of junior staff by providing appropriate direction, support, guidance and mentorship on project work and by promoting firm culture; Develop and share relevant skills and issue-area expertise
- Participate in training and learning activities throughout the year
- Internal Strategy & Team Objectives: Contribute to the development, implementation, and management of key components of the team’s and firm’s strategic plan, annual objectives, and key business performance metrics
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- Graduate degree or equivalent work experience in relevant field (professional services, philanthropy, public policy, nonprofit management, etc.)
- At least 5 to 7 years of professional experience with steadily increasing job responsibilities
- Organizational development experience, experience with organization design and change management processes strongly preferred
- Experience in philanthropy, public policy, nonprofit management, business and/or consulting
- Experience with strategy development and implementation, including business and strategic planning
- Strong project management skills to drive projects to completion, including the ability to lead complex projects, oversee and delegate to team members, build positive relationships with a range of philanthropic clients, and meet deadlines
- Strong emotional intelligence
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills, and demonstrated ability to synthesize large amounts of information on the page
- Strong organizational and research skills and an understanding of how to gather, analyze, and synthesize diverse information from written documents and interviews
- Proven ability to work with diverse teams, audiences, and stakeholders, including excellent teamwork, relationship building, customer service, and strong facilitation skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Our Core Competencies:
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to address complex service matters, implement and communicate service changes to everyone involved, and to coach teammates on how to apply the firm’s service standards
- The ability to manage large-scale and cross-firm projects, including delegating and managing all resources, identifying and implementing improved processes, monitoring consistency across project teams, and providing direction and support to teammates
- The ability to facilitate and negotiate among stakeholders with conflicting needs and to generate consensus among decision makers
- The ability to help effectively communicate difficult messages; to adapt style, tone, and content to meet various needs; and to coach teammates on crafting content
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including encouraging and facilitating effective compromise, drawing on the capabilities of all team members, and leading team-level knowledge sharing
- The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team and project-level learning, including coaching others
- The ability to solve complex challenges by identifying innovative solutions and facilitating coordination with others
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists, corporations, and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Advisory Team
The Advisory team is a collegial, client-focused, and impact-driven community that provides a range of strategic consulting services to institutional foundations, family foundations, corporate foundations, impact investors, and philanthropic individuals. Our team helps clients develop grant-making and impact investment strategies, implement programs and grant initiatives, conduct diligence, evaluate impact, and collaborate effectively with other donors and investors. Together, we work with many of the nation’s leading philanthropists, helping them achieve impact in education, health, international development, conservation, and more.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.