A mission-driven professional who will provide strategic consulting services to a diverse portfolio of corporate clients to help them achieve their social impact and philanthropic goals
Associate Directors play an essential role on the Advisory team in managing a portfolio of client projects, maintaining client relationships, supporting business development, and advancing aspects for team- or firm-wide strategy and objectives. We anticipate that this Associate Director will have a diverse client portfolio with a significant portion of work with corporate clients, including corporate foundations, CSR functions within corporations, and/or businesses that are early or at a pivot point in their social impact and philanthropic journey and are seeking guidance on the best approaches to advance their philanthropic commitments in a way that aligns with broader business goals.
We seek a candidate with core competence in strategic analytics and experience in and exposure to the corporate sector –through direct experience working in a business and/or through organizational or strategic consulting to corporations. In this specific role, you will need exceptional organizational and project and client management skills. You will specialize in supporting clients to design and implement philanthropic initiatives, align with client business priorities, and incorporate an equity lens. You are someone who understands that long-term, systemic change requires a deep understanding of the complex logistics of impact, e.g., when and how to move the human, financial, and even intellectual resources needed to accomplish a goal.
Client Service (40-60%)
- Project Management & Oversight: Serve as project manager on client projects ensuring client experience, deliverables, meetings, and presentations meet or exceed client expectations; specific duties will vary based on the type of project but are likely to include:
- Developing and managing project scopes of work
- Managing project teams, including junior staff
- Ensuring projects remain on time and on budget
- Developing high-quality reports and presentations, including overseeing or leading the research and analysis process leading up to deliverable development
- Designing and facilitating effective meetings and working sessions with clients and other stakeholders
- Clearly communicating project progress and findings to clients
- Understanding compliance and business needs related to corporate social impact initiatives, as relevant to project portfolio
- Relationship Management: Build and maintain strong client and internal relationships
- Project Team Development: In the context of project work, lead by example in creating an inclusive team dynamic where everyone’s voice is valued, delegate effectively to project team members, and provide support and training to help team members develop their skills and talent
- Application of a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Lens: Ensure the team is applying DEI principles to the scope of work, asking at all phases: “What can we be doing to build more equitable processes and achieve more equitable outcomes?”
Business Development and Marketing (20-30%)
- Proposal Development: Serve as proposal manager on assigned advisory proposals, including leading on scope design and pricing
- Support Arabella’s business development team in identifying and pitching new opportunities
Internal Projects (5-20%)
- Internal Strategy & Team Objectives: Contribute to the development, implementation, and management of key components of the team’s and firm’s strategic plan, annual objectives, and key business performance metrics
- Participate in training and learning activities throughout the year
- Contribute to professional growth and satisfaction of junior staff by providing appropriate direction, support, guidance and mentorship on project work and by promoting a firm culture that centers DEI; Develop and share relevant skills and issue-area expertise
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- At least 5 to 7 years of professional experience with steadily increasing job responsibilities
- Experience working with or in the corporate sector and a familiarity with corporate social impact initiatives
- Experience in business, philanthropy, public policy, nonprofit management, and/or consulting with regular and sustained interaction with a diversity of corporate entities, strongly preferred
- Experience with strategy development and implementation, including business and strategic planning and organizational design
- Strong project management skills to drive projects to completion, including the ability to lead complex projects, oversee and delegate to team members, build positive relationships with a range of philanthropic clients, and meet deadlines
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and emotional intelligence
- Strong organizational and research skills and an understanding of how to gather, analyze, and synthesize diverse information from written documents and interviews
- Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communication skills, to adapt style, tone, and content to meet various needs; and to coach teammates on crafting content, and demonstrated ability to synthesize large amounts of information on the page
- Proven ability to work inclusively with diverse teams, audiences, and stakeholders to achieve shared goals, including excellent teamwork, relationship building, customer service, and strong facilitation skills
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to address complex service matters, implement and communicate service changes to everyone involved, and to coach teammates on how to apply the firm’s service standards
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team and project-level learning, including coaching others
- Experience designing and/or implementing racial equity or other DEI-focused initiatives in a corporate setting is preferred but not required
- Experience in corporate philanthropy or CSR functions is preferred but not required
- Interest in benchmarking and experience with database research is preferred but not required
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists, corporations, and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Advisory Team
The Advisory team is a collegial, client-focused, and DEI- and impact-driven community that provides a range of strategic consulting services to institutional foundations, family foundations, corporations and corporate foundations, impact investors, and philanthropic individuals. Our team helps clients chart their social impact and philanthropic journey, design and build new initiatives and organizations, develop grant-making and impact investment strategies, implement programs and grant initiatives, conduct diligence, evaluate impact, and collaborate effectively with other donors and investors. Together, we work with many of the nation’s leading philanthropists, helping them achieve equity-focused impact in education, health, conservation and the environment, and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. Click here to learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI statement.
Total Rewards (compensation and benefits)
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and benefits. Our base salaries are based on a blend of similar sized organizations from different sectors, including nonprofits, foundations, and professional service firms. They are also based on local market rates and differentiated by geography.
All staff are eligible for our generous benefits package on their first day of employment:
- Health insurance- On average Arabella pays 86% of the medical premium, 80% of the dental premium, and 100% of the vision premium
- Paid time off- 16 days’ vacation, 10 personal days, 11 company holidays (7 federal and 4 more from a list of inclusive cultural and religious holidays and your birthday), 20 hours’ volunteer leave, 8 weeks’ parental leave
- 401(k) retirement plan- Arabella will match up to 4% of your contributions. There is no waiting or vesting period; all funds are yours to keep on day 1
- Reimbursements for your personal cell phone plan and fitness
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking
- Bonus incentive opportunities
- Access to professional development opportunities
Working with Us
While this position must be based in San Francisco, CA; New York, NY; or Chicago, IL, please note that due to COVID-19, all Arabella Advisors' offices are closed, and we continue to temporarily work in a remote environment. We have a strong firm culture rooted in collaboration and in-person interactions between colleagues. Once our offices reopen it is our expectation that all staff will generally work from the office according to a schedule agreed upon with their supervisor. We will make reasonable accommodations under the guidelines of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
Arabella Advisors is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial equity. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We encourage you to read (or listen to) our DEI statement prior to applying. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and members of marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around DEI in the recruitment process.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses, and all applicants must already be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of application to be considered for this position.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.