Working as a member of the Membership and Outreach team, and in collaboration with the entire SAFSF staff, the Communications Director will manage and execute all SAFSF internal and external communications in our core areas of work. This is a newly created position that requires an individual who has experience working with a broad range of communications tools and channels and who can work effectively across a wide range of communications activities. The individual hired will also help clarify the role, the relationships, and the responsibilities of the position within the SAFSF staff as they learn on the job.
All SAFSF employees work remotely; candidates may live anywhere within the United States.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Content oversight and management of all external-facing communication materials
- Gather information and understanding of SAFSF’s work and network for content development by participating in meetings and events, interviewing members and staff, and reviewing current and historic materials.
- Develop key messages and talking points for presentations and speeches.
- Ensure effective, appropriate, and consistent use of graphic identity, brand materials, key messages, and tone.
- Manage, maintain and expand digital presence including website, email and newsletters, social media, audio and video content.
- Oversee production of annual Year In Review report and other reports, evaluations and written materials as needed.
- Staff communications support
- Provide support and advice to all staff on effective communications strategies and use of materials and tools.
- Work across all SAFSF teams to provide support on internal and external communication needs spanning programmatic, membership, and operational areas.
- Develop media engagement plan and manage media relations
- Establish direct relationships with media; serve as media contact for SAFSF and an entry point to the sustainable agriculture and food systems philanthropic sector.
- Write and distribute press releases, backgrounders, fact sheets, and other media materials.
- Pitch story ideas and SAFSF spokespersons to media in alignment with SAFSF’s strategic and programmatic goals.
- Support staff and members in their interactions with media materials, talking points, interview coaching, participation in media calls, media follow-up, etc.
- Maintain database records of media contacts, conversations and coverage.
- Develop and maintain a media resource area on the website.
- Provide insights on SAFSF communication strategies and approaches
- Help clarify SAFSF’s key audiences and effective communications strategies to reach them.
- Analyze data to assess the effectiveness of communications tools and strategies.
- Over time, work to develop communications guidelines, strategies, and plans.
This is a full-time, exempt, permanent, remote position with a starting salary range of $60,000-$70,000. SAFSF offers an excellent benefits package, which currently includes automatic (5%) and matching (up to 3%) retirement contributions, medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance (100% paid by SAFSF for employee), as well as health and fitness, internet, and cell phone reimbursements. Paid time off includes 8 federal holidays plus the day after Thanksgiving, summer half-day Fridays, the last week of the year (December 25-January 1), accrued vacation, and sick time. SAFSF has an entirely remote workforce.
View full job description and application.