ABFE is a membership-based philanthropic organization that advocates for responsive and transformative investments in Black communities. Partnering with foundations, nonprofits, and individuals, ABFE provides its members with professional development and technical assistance resources that further the philanthropic sector's connection and responsiveness to issues of equality, diversity, and inclusion. Established in 1971 as the Association of Black Foundation Executives, the all-volunteer organization instituted many of philanthropy's early gains in racial diversity. ABFE has since evolved into a fully staffed, influential network. In 2013, the organization shed its descriptor and adopted the simpler ABFE to reflect its broadening membership better. www.abfe.org
ABFE is currently seeking a seasoned professional with experience in assessing and maintaining relationships with strategic partners, serving as the individual responsible for activating networks, creating supportive and proactive partnerships with the goal of delivering positive outcomes and impact for ABFE.
ABFE is seeking applications from individuals with experience working in the philanthropic sector and experience influencing strategic outcomes within partnership working groups. Applicants need to demonstrate excellent communication and negotiation skills, effective networking and influencing skills and experience building and maintaining productive relationships.
Working with the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Membership, and our ABFE members, the Networks and Partnerships Manager will lead ABFE's base-building, capacity building, and movement campaign work. They will be responsible for aligning ABFE designated working groups/caucuses/networks, issue campaigns, movement politics, and leadership development with ambitious campaign and policy, communications, and power-building goals. The Networks and Partnerships Manager will be a public leader and strategic thinker who can build meaningful relationships with various constituencies and model its values and culture.
The Networks and Partnerships Manager works closely with ABFE's leadership and staff to develop comprehensive strategies and systems to identify and engage ABFE's membership and other stakeholders in organizing Black people's philanthropic power. These comprehensive engagement strategies deepen relationships between ABFE and its membership, stakeholders, and other Black movement leaders to steward the constituent relationship, increase retention, strengthen the ABFE brand, and expand ABFE's profile and reach into new and existing constituent groups. The position develops, sustains, supports, and shapes ABFE's constituency partnership. This includes working with Black Foundation Trustees and CEOs, the Blacks In Philanthropy Networks, alumni of ABFE's Connecting Leaders Fellowship Program, Black Donor Advised Funds, and Black-led Social Change Movement organizations (members and partners).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Obtain a deep understanding of the philanthropic landscape (national, regional, and local) and think creatively about leveraging critical voices to make ABFE's transformative work come alive, inspiring more individuals and constituency groups to commit to reforming philanthropy.
- Lead ABFE's regional strategy to institutionalize ABFE's Responsive Philanthropy in Black Communities, Racial Equity frame, and ABFE's ten-point platform for philanthropic reform for Black lives throughout all engaged philanthropic networks. Philanthropic networks include but are not limited to Black CEOs of Foundations, Black Trustees of Foundations, Connecting Leaders Fellowship Program alumni, and the Blacks in Philanthropy networks.
- Build regional capacity by identifying and cultivating members of ABFE as chairs and leaders of ABFE's constituency groups while ensuring the participation of a representative segment of the Black experience.
- Identify and manage individual and organizational relationships with aligned partners and groups, including other organizations working to improve philanthropy or eradicate anti-Black racism or are organizations that Black-led (board, staff, and mission).
- Develop a work plan in collaboration with the program and external affairs staff (development, communications, and membership) staff to build a comprehensive and achievable strategy that meets grant and organizational objectives.
- Serve as a co-trainer, as needed, with ABFE program staff or consultants to facilitate and lead ABFE's racial justice and equity workshops with Foundation clients and other stakeholders.
- An understanding of and commitment to ABFE's mission and a demonstrated commitment to racial justice and equity
- Solid working knowledge of public policy advocacy, philanthropy, philanthropic practices & the nonprofit structures
- Solid written, interpersonal and communication skills with a commitment to a high level of customer service
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines with multi high- stake initiatives demonstrating a flexible approach to teamwork and effective project management skills
- Proficient in Social Media tools (LinkedIn; Facebook; Instagram; Twitter)
- Proficient in computer and web-based technology skills, including data management (Salesforce and Donor Perfect), word processing, Constant Contact, Excel, Asana
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Travel is required
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of six years' organizing experience preferable in the area of racial justice
- Experience in workshop and meeting facilitation
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates, please, forward cover letter and a copy of your resume to [email protected]
by January 26, 2021.