The California Community Foundation (CCF) is a public, charitable organization serving Los Angeles County in multiple capacities since 1915. We encourage philanthropy by individuals, families, companies and organizations, and serve as a trusted steward of their charitable funds and legacies. We make grants and collaborate with nonprofits in specific areas and concentrate attention and resources on the needs of the most vulnerable individuals and groups in the community. CCF convenes and engages nonprofit, private and public-sector partners to increase philanthropy and incorporate philanthropists into community problem solving in Los Angeles.
CCF is a dynamic environment that values individuals who want a purpose more than a position. We have a diverse and talented team of experienced and passionate advocates for our community. We are a learning organization driven by the idea that continuous improvement furthers professional development and increases our ability to effect positive change. We seek individuals who thrive in a fast-paced setting highly focused on results and impact.
Reporting to the Office Administrator, the receptionist is the first point of contact for callers and visitors to the California Community Foundation. The position’s primary responsibilities are to provide reception desk coverage, handle incoming mail and deliveries distribution, process incoming checks, address CCF office suite service requests and assist with other administration tasks as needed. Work hours are 8:00am – 5:00pm.
- Reception Desk Coverage: Ensures a professional and positive first impression is projected to all visitors and staff by maintaining a calm, modulated and pleasant speaking voice and greeting everyone with a smile.
- Greets all callers and visitors to CCF in a courteous, efficient manner. Maintains a consistently high standard of professional business attire and attitude. Immediately acknowledges all visitors entering the reception area Quickly and efficiently transfers callers to appropriate staff, without attempting to give advice or responding to inquiries better handled by appropriate department staff.
- Validates parking as instructed by department head and/or posted limits.
- Forwards calls from employees who indicate that they will be late or absent to supervisors or other staff members as appropriate. Sends daily email to staff regarding these calls. Maintains utmost confidentiality of confidential information divulged by employees during these calls or emails.
- Responsible for set up and maintenance of reception desk phone and messaging. Updates and emails CCF phone directory to all staff as needed.
- Reviews and triages incoming email to [email protected], then forwards to appropriate teams or staff members.
- In conjunction with office administrator, trains other employees to provide reception relief on rotating basis as needed.
- At all times, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., unless relieved by another staff member, remains within the reception area to perform these duties.
- Office Opening: Between 8:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. delivers newspapers, turns on lights and equipment and performs other tasks related to opening the office. Monitors cleanliness and functionality of the office space. Prints and posts menus, calendars and other documentation for the following week in conference rooms and kitchens. Organizes and maintains supplies inside the conference rooms. Organizes and maintains the president’s hospitality area and the CCF kitchens. Conducts a weekly inventory of coffee, tea, cups, etc. and orders supplies as needed.
- Mail Management: Collects, sorts and distributes all incoming mail to staff as addressed or designated by the Director of Human Resources and Administration. Complies with special procedures as outlined.
- Check and Invoice Processing: On a daily basis, enters all incoming checks into the Raiser’s Edge database, prints a validation report and delivers checks and report to Finance department. Processes department invoices and monitors invoice payment.
- Receiving: Receives deliveries and immediately records their receipt into a log. Immediately secures checks or other valuable papers until picked-up. Ensures staff or a department assistant accepts responsibility for, picks-up and signs for receipt of every delivery on a daily basis.
- Office Supplies: Assists with office supplies invoice processing and department invoices. Maintains an Excel expense report by department of office supplies purchased. Orders supplies for staff with supervisor approval. Maintains a monthly spreadsheet of supplies and publications inventory and reports shortages to the office administrator.
- Facilities: Serves as a point of contact for staff and building management for the safety and operations of CCF’s office suite. Logs office suite work orders and other requests.
- General: As appropriate, assists other departments and works as a member of interdepartmental teams to ensure the effective and efficient operations of CCF. At all times, demonstrates cooperative behavior with supervisors and coworkers. Assists with mailings and other projects from the Reception desk, as time permits. Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience: Minimum of three years’ experience as a receptionist or administrative assistant with heavy phone responsibilities required. Mastery of multiple-line phone systems preferred. Prior experience at a nonprofit preferred.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent required. Higher education or business/secretarial training preferred.
- Communication Skills: Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills required, including telephone and customer service skills.
- Technology Skills: Computer literacy, including proficiency in Microsoft Office software required. Working knowledge of Blackbaud software preferred, with a willingness and ability to learn appropriate database, spreadsheet and other computer programs.
- Organizational Skills: Superior organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to prioritize work effectively and respond calmly to multiple and competing demands.
- Team Work & General Skills: Ability to follow directions. Ability to work well independently and as team member. Ability to take initiative and follow tasks through to completion.
- Requires the ability to sit and work at a desk for several hours at a time.
- Requires the ability to travel and attend meetings, presentations and events outside the office, which may require occasional use of a motor vehicle for transportation to other locations.
- Work may require occasional weekends and/or extended work day.
- Punctuality and satisfactory attendance are essential functions of the job.
This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position. Salary is dependent on experience and qualifications. A generous benefit package is provided to all full-time staff, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, parking or transportation, and retirement benefits.
How to Apply:
To apply to this position, please visit our website at www.calfund.org and select “Careers” or go to http://www.recruitingcenter.net/clients/calfund/publicjobs
CCF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees, and we make employment decisions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, gender expression, age or any other protected status. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable federal, state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.