RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SENIOR ACCOUNTANT
- Reconciles bank accounts for payroll, operating, flexible spending, and investments accounts.
- Initiates cash transfers and maintains cash journal.
- Process annual membership invoices and reconciles related accounts.
- Entry of budgets and journal ledger entries into the accounting system, prepare reoccurring journal entries.
- Reconciles assigned balance sheet accounts.
- Maintains and reconciles capital assets ledger and depreciation accounts.
- Maintain complete asset files and assist in annual audits.
- Makes certain that purchasing documents are properly completed and monitors proper authorization and appropriate supporting documentation.
- Maintains all contracts and contract files.
- Maintains vendor files with up-to-date W9, FAFTA filing and SAM verification.
- Processes accounts payable including matching of invoices with purchase orders & receiving documents, writing requisitions and searching authorizations. Assist with annual 1099M creation and filing.
- Process checks and ACH payments.
- Participate in the month-end close process, preparing journal entries, performing account analysis/flux commentary and preparing balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Perform the monthly processing of indirect cost pool allocations.
- Perform the monthly processing of shared direct costs allocations.
- Research and follow-up on reconciling items for assigned areas.
- Ensure assigned tasks/processes are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Provide monthly and ad hoc analysis to stakeholders.
- Participate in special projects and process improvement initiatives.
- Prepare written procedure and policy documents as needed.
- Other duties as assigned to meet the changing needs of the accounting team.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Must have federal grants experience.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated effective and efficient customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficient in MS Word and Excel.
- Non-profit with federal grants experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
- Knowledge of GAAP and SOX.
- Working knowledge of Intacct accounting software or, similar program.
- Ability to understand the administration of accounting software.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience.
- Highly organized and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Competitive salary is commensurate with experience and based on salary history. Exceptional benefits offered in a flexible work environment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
AIDS United is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service/veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, current employment status, or caregiver status, genetic information, or any other protected status under federal, state or local law. We encourage applications from candidates of color and individuals living with HIV or histories of injection-drug use.
This position is in Washington, DC. Successful candidate will perform duties within the main office duty area and will have significant phone contact with public, trustees, high-level donors, corporate executives, and grantee staff. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Position requires limited travel – less than 6 days per year.
These demands document the physical requirements of a specific job. Criteria may include: Lifting, Carrying, Push/Pull, Sitting/Standing (In Place); On Feet, Walking, Bending, Turn/Twist; Kneeling; Squatting; Crawling; Climbing; Reaching (Out)/Reaching (Up), Grasping, Wrist Turning; Pinching; Finger Manipulation, Hearing, Talking, working with a computer for eight hours, Working in close quarters. Communicating over the telephone for eight hours.
Job Type: Full-time
Please email cover letter to include salary requirements and resume with the subject line “SENIOR ACCOUNTANT” to [email protected]. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please. Due to the high volume of applicants only those selected for an interview will be contacted.