SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF PARTNERSHIPS
CLOSING DATE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The Organization: Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights
Centered on a groundbreaking model of rapid response grantmaking, Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights (UAF) supports the urgent needs of courageous women, trans, and gender non-binary human rights defenders around the world in times of crisis or opportunity. Our model protects and advances the civil, political, and social rights of women and LGBTI people, and invests in the resilience of social justice movements, including environmental, feminist, indigenous, land rights, youth, and LGBTI movements. Founded in 1997, UAF is a member of a network of four independent “Sister Funds'' that collectively support frontline women’s rights activists around the world. UAF’s work, within this network, centers on support for feminist activists and social movements in the Middle East, the Caucasus, Europe and Central Asia, and the United States and Canada.
The Position: Senior Communications Officer
Urgent Action Fund is seeking a seasoned strategic communications professional with proven ability to help lead and implement communications strategies to further UAF’s goals, mission, and vision. In coordination with the Director of Partnerships and the Communication Coordinator, the SCO will be a team leader in helping us establish and maintain our brand identity.
They will engage with media, grantees, advisors, donors, staff, and other stakeholders as a media representative of UAF. They will lead the development of and implement plans to engage target audiences across current and traditional media channels. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of success in the communications sector or related fields and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Communications, Marketing, and Social Media:
- Support the organization in maintaining a consistent and unique brand voice.
- Develop and execute marketing and visibility campaigns.
- Identify target audiences and execute strategies for audience engagement.
- Draft and edit a range of communications materials from op-eds and press releases to website content and reports.
- Working with the communications coordinator: Manage and follow annual editorial and communications calendar to ensure that events, news, and programmatic updates are optimally executed.
- Manage the organization’s social media marketing strategy that includes all major social media platforms as appropriate.
- Manage and inform strategies to grow the number of social media followers and engagement by producing and sharing creative, entertaining, compelling, and informative content.
- Oversee, manage, and actively coordinate (with Communications Coordinator) efforts for content gathering, creation, or compilation, edit, proofread visibility materials such as newsletters, memos, and other materials as needed.
- Manage and oversee all media communications, and coordinate media outreach tracking all garnered media coverage
- Lead coordination of activities with external communications consultants and vendors
- Work with the Director of Partnerships to design and implement strategies for all of Urgent Action Funds communications activities.
- Coordinate photography and multimedia documentation and production for/of events, activities, etc. for use in publications, media, etc. and ensure appropriate releases are maintained; maintain working inventories of graphic, photo and other media files.
- Support department with the execution of other key projects and strategies
- Project Lead for all communications deliverables - in coordination with program-related publications or content
- Shares UAF’s values: integrity, feminisms, wellbeing, justice, courage and mindful engagement
- A critical understanding of and deep commitment to feminism, social justice, and human rights issues facing women, trans, gender non-binary, and intersex people
- Is emotionally intelligent, comfortable working across cultures and time zones, team-oriented, and works collaboratively and respectfully with multiple stakeholders including UAF staff, partners, and external consultants
- Takes initiative, shows resourcefulness, and has strong critical thinking, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment managing competing priorities and reprioritizing tasks as needed
- Works methodically with attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential information and security concerns
- Is able to receive and act on constructive feedback and demonstrates robust interpersonal skills
- Thrives in a small team environment with a highly participatory and consensus-driven culture
- Communication Expertise (4-7 years of experience in a lead communications role) with particular emphasis on public and media relations.
- Experience in leading content development for social justice initiatives
- Design management or intermediary designing skills (in Canva or other design platforms)
- Experience in building, collecting, and/or analyzing communication KPIs and other metrics for strategic marketing
- Keen attention to detail - especially in writing and copyediting capacities.
- Knowledge of the media environment
- Knowledge of best practices for writing and publishing on different social media platforms.
- Experience leading basic publishing of content on general CMS platforms
- Experience/facility with writing and editing in a variety of formats.
- Experience in gender justice, human rights, and/or related movements.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English and an ability to distill complex and detailed information into an accessible and approachable writing and verbal communication style
- Practical expertise in project management and audience engagement
- Detailed knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google applications for example Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Drive, Sheets, Docs, Slides
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required
This position is full-time (32 hours per week as UAF has a 4-day workweek) and is exempt. This position is remote, with a preference for candidates who are in or near New York, NY or San Francisco, CA should in-person work resume.
UAF is committed to paying competitive wages and upholding sustainable equity practices. Due to the ways in which salary negotiations perpetuate existing structural inequities, UAF as a practice does not participate in a salary negotiation process for any candidate. We will make our best offer, and it will be the same regardless of the candidate. The annual starting salary for the Senior Officer role is $94,950 and includes a strong benefits package (health, dental, retirement, flex spending for medical and transit, HRA, holistic wellness benefits, communication reimbursement, and competitive PTO package).
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references (candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to their references) to [email protected], with “Senior Communications Officer” in the subject line. This position will be open until filled and we encourage candidates to submit their materials as soon as possible. Please submit PDF or Microsoft Word files only, preferably with all materials in one combined file. Resume reviews begin immediately and only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Urgent Action Fund is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service or other non-merit factors. In order to build the strongest possible workforce, UAF actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. No relocation costs will be covered for this position. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.