Senior Treasury and Fund Accountant, Managed Organizations Finance (Durham, NC; Washington, DC; or Remote)
- Record monthly investment activity for a variety of publicly traded and privately held investments
- Prepare/review monthly cash and investment account reconciliations Assist in project management of ongoing DAF investment process creation and strategy Coordinate with investment advisor(s) to onboard DAFs, support creation of asset allocation for new portfolios, and monitor investment advisor compliance with those allocations
- Support the IT team in system enhancements related to the DAF sponsor entity
- Maintain and update organizational documents for DAF sponsor entity, including but not limited to the Investment Policy Statement and Gift Acceptance Policy
- Maintain and update processes and procedures related to DAF activity including but not limited to cash management, investment operations, and investment accounting
- Support creation of entity level and DAF level financial statements and investment performance reports and statement delivery and communication process for a variety of stakeholders
- Assist the Treasury Managers with innovation initiatives related to Treasury as necessary
- Oversee the work of accounting associates and staff accountants to ensure compliance with established processes and controls
- Assist in internal testing tasks to assist with the annual audit for each Managed Organization
- Encourage and lead team learning activities, focused on the development of technical skills for junior staff necessary to provide high quality service to a diverse portfolio of clients
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need
- 3-5 years of direct client service experience, in any multifaceted, complex environment
- Project management experience with cross team partners
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to analyze financial data and communicate information to various stakeholders for decision-making
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work within multi-functional teams
- Ability to anticipate service challenges and proactively address them
Other Highly Preferred Skills and Experience
- Fund accounting experience and experience recording various investment activities, with an understanding of multiple investment types and their GAAP fair market value recording
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance preferred
- Experience in philanthropy, nonprofit management or consulting
- Experience participating in the management of donor-advised funds and/or philanthropic operations, systems, and grant programs
- Excellent skills using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- Experience or interest in charitable investments
Our Core Competencies
- The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to address complex service matters, implement and communicate service changes to everyone involved, and to coach teammates on how to apply the firm’s service standards
- The ability to manage large-scale and cross-firm projects, including delegating and managing all resources, identifying and implementing improved processes, monitoring consistency across project teams, and providing direction and support to teammates
- The ability to facilitate and negotiate among stakeholders with conflicting needs and to generate consensus among decision makers
- The ability to help effectively communicate difficult messages; to adapt style, tone, and content to meet various needs; and to coach teammates on crafting content.
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including encouraging and facilitating effective compromise, drawing on the capabilities of all team members, and leading team-level knowledge sharing
- The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team and project-level learning, including coaching others
- The ability to solve complex challenges by identifying innovative solutions and facilitating coordination with others
- The ability to elevate the voices of marginalized colleagues and mitigate power dynamics with staff with less formal authority
Working with Us
This position is open to candidates who wish to be based out of our office locations in Durham, NC or Washington, DC. We are also open to permanently remote workers based in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin. Please note that all of our offices have reopened, and we work in a hybrid environment.
We reopened our offices in Summer of 2022 and work with a hybrid workplace strategy to ensure continued flexibility for our staff, while deepening our strong culture rooted in collaboration and in-person interactions between colleagues. We expect that after their initial onboarding, all Arabellans will have the choice of two hybrid schedules. Our hybrid schedule options include Flex, with 1-2 days per week in the office, or Office-based, with 3+ days per week in the office (or more if preferred) and the remaining days working at home/remotely. We will make reasonable accommodations under the guidelines of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
To center the safety and well-being of its employees, Arabella Advisors requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 within four weeks of their start date. This position may require candidates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. Click here to learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI statement.
Total Rewards (compensation and benefits)
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and benefits. Our compensation ranges are based on salary ranges for similar sized organizations in the professional services sector and adjusted for local labor market rates and differentiated by geography.
Durham range $75,000-93,000
DC range $85,000-$105,000
All full-time staff are eligible for our generous benefits package on their first day of employment:
- Health insurance- On average Arabella pays 86% of the medical premium, 80% of the dental premium, and 100% of the vision premium
- Paid time off- 16 days’ vacation, 10 personal days, 11 company holidays (7 federal and 4 more from a list of inclusive cultural and religious holidays and your birthday), 20 hours’ volunteer leave, 8 weeks’ parental leave
- 401(k) retirement plan- We offer a 4% employer match on a dollar-per-dollar basis, and there is no waiting or vesting period; all funds contributed by you and Arabella are yours to keep on day 1
- Reimbursements for your personal cell phone plan and fitness
- Pre-tax withholding for transportation and parking
- Bonus incentive opportunities
- Access to professional development opportunities
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
Arabella Advisors is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial equity. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We encourage you to read (or listen to) our DEI statement prior to applying. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and members of marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around DEI in the recruitment process.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses, and all applicants must already be legally eligible to work in the United States at the time of application to be considered for this position.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.