Philanthropy OUTlook: LGBTQ Education Issues
Published: September 10, 2019
Author(s): Andrew Wallace
This infographic, produced in partnership with the Schott Foundation for Public Education, highlights the challenges facing LGBTQ students and analyzes trends, gaps, and opportunities in funding for LGBTQ education issues.
The infographic finds:
- More than 6 in 10 LGBTQ students experience discriminatory policies or practices at school.
- While LGBTQ youth make up 7-9 percent of youth nationwide, they account for 20 percent of all youth in juvenile justice facilities (and 85 percent of them are youth of color).
- Funding for LGBTQ education and safe schools has fluctuated over the past five years, but has never exceeded $9 million in a given year.
- For every $100 awarded by U.S. foundations to education, only 15 cents were devoted to funding for LGBTQ education and safe schools.
- The top ten funders of LGBTQ education and safe schools issues account for nearly three-quarters of the funding.