Achieving full freedom and liberation for LGBTQ individuals and families requires a democracy that works for everyone, 365 days a year. Winning pro-LGBTQ policies at the federal, state of local level requires decision-makers who are willing to act favorably on pro-LGBTQ issues. Engaging the entire LGBTQ community in advocacy and organizing for democracy reform will protect and improve governmental and other resources for LGBTQ individuals and families, people of color and low-income communities.
The LGBTQ community can lead in securing the political change necessary to ensure a strong democracy.
This webinar will:
- Consider how democracy reform is core to funders’ ability to achieve their missions
- Explore how a healthy democracy – that includes LGBTQ representation – contributes to a thriving LGBTQ community
- Highlight urgent democracy issues critical to LGBTQ communities, including money-in-politics reform; a complete and accurate 2020 census; voter rights, access and engagement; candidate development and support; fair elections; and legislative redistricting
- Share local stories, grassroots movements and cross-sector collaboratives that leverage the power and leadership of the LGBTQ community and people of color, including #QueertheCensus and the Bayard Rustin Democracy Fellowship Program
- Provide opportunities—through conversation and electronic polling—for the audience to share their and their grantees’ democracy reform work and ask questions
We will also learn how three organizations – Democracy Initiative Education Fund, National LGBTQ Task Force and the North Star Fund – can support funders, nonprofits and organizers to work individually and collectively to achieve democratic reforms that advance the LGBTQ movement.