There are several ways for you and your organization to get involved in Out in the South and support efforts to strengthen Southern LGBTQ communities:
- Join the Out in the South Network to receive email updates and information about funder briefings.
- Invite the Out in the South team to provide a training for you and your staff about how LGBTQ issues intersect with your funding priorities and how you might support LGBT work in the communities you care about.
- Donate to the Out in the South Fund
We invite you to choose a starting point that is best suited for you and your organization. Over time, as you learn more about the opportunities that exist, you may choose to broaden your involvement in other ways.
Once you have begun a conversation about LGBTQ-inclusiveness, the next step is to explore how LGBTQ communities are uniquely impacted by your grantmaking areas. Both national and Southern funders have opportunities to initiate or increase direct grantmaking that positively impacts LGBT Southerners in ways that align with your mission. Here’s how:
- For first-time funders of Southern LGBTQ communities: Commit to make your first grant to an organization that primarily serves LGBTQ Southerners. Make a deliberate effort to learn about LGBTQ organizations in your community and reach out to learn more about their work. Distribute requests for proposals (RFPs) to LGBT organizations that may align with your funding priorities.
- For current funders of Southern LGBTQ communities: Commit to increase your annual grantmaking budget for Southern LGBT communities. Make a deliberate effort to learn about Southern LGBT organizations and reach out to learn more about their work. Distribute RFPs to a broader group of Southern LGBT organizations that align with your funding priorities.
- For everyone: Become an Ambassador. Help to deepen our engagement with a broader cross-section of people and organizations, including national and Southern funders, business and civic leaders, corporate executives, and community leaders. As an Ambassador, you can be instrumental to our efforts by lending your name, opening doors, and sharing your knowledge with your peers.
To learn more about all of the above ways of getting involved, contact Chantelle Fisher-Borne at [email protected] or 919-260-2189.